8.05.2009

RobertaFlack (Mike Slott's Other Mix)


Everyone already knows how good Flying Lotus is, with his unusual sounds with record static and the uneven beats and the whole lot. Today I picked up a copy of his L.A. EP 2x3 which I believe is his second remix album of tracks from his original Los Angeles album. I thought it would be so-so with just some attempts to remix Flying Lotus' amazing tracks, and yes, some of the tracks are just as boring as I thought. There is one, though, Mike Slott's mix of RobertaFlack which just really got to me. It has this uncanny ability to put images in my mind. I didn't even really enjoy the original that much.

This one, though, starts off with really great old-timey vocals and bells and chords and little dings, but then this glitch compu-speak synth comes in along with the signature broken beats just bringing back all those memories of those Jacek Yerka paintings I saw a while back. Peep some of them here, here, and here. Oh and here. Definitely that last one. But yeah, I really love that old-timey feel and the happy chords mixed with the twackin' beat and the future/past-esque glitch. Just amazing...

The first half of the next track, Secrets, sounds similar, but you'll have to find that yourself. I love how the song just portrays an alternate reality. Flying Lotus really is genius, because synthesizers produce sounds so sterile and clean, it must take a lot of work to grunge up and give personality to the sounds that FlyLo does, and it sounds great! Listen to the track, and maybe take a look at those paintings for maximum immersification.

0 comments:

Post a Comment